Tuesday 20 August 2013

Revitalise Your Body

As a young, and not quite so young, woman I ate lots of fatty foods, drank too much wine, gin, rum, tequila, etc, etc, and generally had a good time. I thought those halcyon days would last forever. Unfortunately my body had other ideas and is now having revenge on me for all those late night meals, bucket loads of alcohol and lack of sleep. Left with acid reflux, continual tiredness, puffy eyes, dodgy joints and all round bloating, I ask myself how can I fix it without a) resorting to cosmetic surgery I cannot afford, b) taking loads of prescribed drugs from endless trips to the doctor or c) going on a drastic diet and making myself miserable.

My husband was quick to come up with an answer - eat ourselves better and take health supplements. Sounds good to me. So what foods should we be eating to boost our energy and improve our well being after 50?

Antioxidants

Berries... Mmmmmm... Smoothies!
Flush out those toxins with foods that combat free radicals to fight the ageing process. Foods with bold colours, such as those in season now - tomatoes, berries and beetroot - are good examples. Excellent news for me and hubby as we have beet root growing in the garden and the blackberries in the hedge in the back garden will soon be ready to pick. Lidl had an amazing sale on vine tomatoes a couple of weeks ago and we topped up supples with a massive load of cherry tomatoes from Croydon's wonderful Surrey Street market. So off to a flying start.

Prince Charles visits Croydon... well I never!
Olive Oil


What next for health and beauty? Olive oil. It is pretty amazing stuff. It just so happens that my husband is Greek, so of course we have a constant supply in our house, and not just for cooking. I knew extra virgin was good for clearing out 'bad fat' from arteries but did you know that is has anti-inflammatory properties too? But of course it has loads of other uses. My mum used to warm it up and stick it in our ears bunged up with cotton wool when we had earache, and it really did help. But don't try this at home...! OMG click her for the weirdest use of olive oil! 

That's all I have time for but I really feel that I've made a positive start in getting healthier just by changing my diet a little. Bye for now

No comments:

Post a Comment